Boynton Beach is a city in Palm Beach County, Florida, United States. The population was 68,217 at the 2010 census. In 2019, the city had an estimated population of 78,679 according to the University of Florida, Bureau of Economic and Business Research.
The purpose of this classification is to perform advanced technical and professional work in analysis and implementation of information systems technology, to maintain server and networking systems, and to provide user support on hardware and software applications.
- Performs complex studies to identify areas for the application of information systems technologies, identification of project funds, conducting cost/benefit analysis, development of Requests for Proposals (RFP’s), evaluation and award of bids, and project management of information technology implementations. Leads projects from concept through production deployment. Provides direction to other personnel assigned to projects. Works effectively with outside contractors, vendors and other City staff through the proposal and implementation processes.
Administers various computer server and network operating systems and databases; monitors performance and capacity of systems for excessive loading problems, disk space utilization, and other operating problems; monitors and queries network and server equipment to verify proper operation and analyze results.
- Provides Tier 2 technical support to City employees using computer systems.
Controls network operations by establishing user accounts, security levels and access rights.
- Diagnoses, troubleshoots, and repairs problems on computer hardware, local area networks, databases, and printers; modifies the proper functioning of the central computer system and individual user units; performs system tests on a periodic basis; makes system modifications as needed; returns defective computer equipment to manufacturer for repair or replacement.
- Receives and unpacks new computer shipments and checks components against purchase orders; configures and delivers computer systems; installs computer hardware systems and peripherals; installs software and utility applications on computers and network servers; configures network equipment and virtual private network (VPN) for remote user access.
- Installs and relocates cable drops and computer equipment as required.
- Adds, removes, and replaces hardware system components on network servers to increase capacity and efficiency; modifies software applications or network operating systems to remedy problems, add features or increase performance.
- Sets up and modifies database codes on department computer systems.
- Researches, evaluates, and recommends purchasing options and vendors for upgrading and replacing computer system components; compiles price quotations, prepares purchase requisitions and supporting documents.
- Monitors and verifies accuracy of automated backup systems on computers; performs system user file restorations as needed.
- Schedules archiving of system data; transfers records to permanent storage.
- Refers to on-line computer help, the Internet, computer manuals, technical documentation, blueprints, schematics, professional journals, and other resources in performing assigned job duties.
Performs the duties of the ITS Manager in his/her absence.
Performs other related duties as required.
- Associate’s degree in computer science, management information systems, or a closely related field;
- Possesses four (4) years of previous experience performing server and/or network administration duties in a multi-user environment.
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) certification for Windows Server (previous version of the certification also acceptable).
- Possess (or obtain within fourteen (14) days of hire) and maintain a valid State of Florida Driver’s license.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, management information systems, or a closely related field.
- Certifications in Networking areas (Extreme, Cisco, Network +, or other networking vendor certifications), and other technical certifications (Microsoft, CompTIA, etc.).
- The ability to clearly communicate Department and City Goals, Policies, Strategic Plans and other key information to employees and peers using multiple communication platforms including e-mail and social media.
- Effectively communicates with supervisor, employees, other departments, contractors, engineers, companies, vendors, outside agencies, the public, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information, or resolve problems.
Accurately and expeditiously receives and delivers messages and information to the appropriate individuals.
- Ability to prepare accurate and thorough written records, memos and reports.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions and to complete assigned tasks with minimal supervisory direction.
- Ability to understand and quickly and accurately follow brief oral and written instructions on moderately complex matters.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of, and the ability to utilize formal project management, application development, and strategic planning techniques and methodologies.
- Knowledge of, and the ability to analyze business workflows with the intent to identify inefficiencies and recommend process improvements.
- Knowledge of the vendor bid process. Ability to create and prepare documents for submission to a vendor bid process.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both a written and verbal manner with customers, subordinates, peers, upper management and public officials.
- Ability to analyze data and prepare analytical reports.
- Ability to analyze, troubleshoot and resolve software application/platform issues.
- Ability to use various software applications and functions including desktop publishing, spreadsheets, word processing, multi-media presentations, databases, mapping, graphics, flow charts, and other system software.
- Ability to manage and support web pages and applications, their design, and implementation.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work including vendors, contractors, community groups, outside agencies, public officials, City employees and management.
- Ability to simultaneously and effectively manage tasks, priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to initiate and implement administrative procedures.