The City of Dania Beach was incorporated in 1904 as Broward’s first city. The City is located immediately south of the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, Port Everglades, and the Broward County Convention Center. Dania Beach operates under a Commission-City Manager form of government and provides services to an estimated 30,000 residents.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions described herein. Since every duty associated with this position may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were actually written out in this job description.
The incumbent oversees and directs all phases of information technology and security of a comprehensive City-wide Information Systems plan. Responsibility includes evaluation, installation and utilization of the City’s computer hardware, operating system software and microcomputer hardware and software. The incumbent is also responsible for all communication systems including, but not limited to, phone systems, both wired and wireless, video systems both production and distribution, and surveillance and access systems. Performs professional highly complex analytical and technical work in planning, design or selection, development, maintenance, and implementation of information systems and associated peripheral equipment. Work may include technical programming, analytical and research work installing, customizing, and maintaining communications and automated operations/network processes and software in a complex, data processing environment. The Incumbent in this classification is responsible for acting as a liaison to provide technical support and leadership within and outside the organization and responsible for supervising and directing other Information systems staff positions as necessary. We are seeking a leader who is aligned with the City’s philosophy of culture of excellence, of Respect, Integrity, and Service Excellence, the RISE principles.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Develops and implements IT policy and best practice guides for the City.
- Participates in the evaluation, design and development of computer systems; coordination and programming of systems, user training, and initiation of changes.
- Establishes policies and procedures and standards for information systems hardware and software.
- Mentors, trains, and supervises IT support staff.
- Manages crisis situations, which may involve complex technical hardware and software problems.
- Plans, develops and implements the annual Information System budget including obtaining competitive pricing from suppliers.
- Safeguards assets by planning and Implementing disaster recovery and back-up procedures and information security and control structures.
- Ensure software licensing laws are adhered to.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
- Maintains contact with software and hardware vendors to coordinate complex problem resolution and provide assistance with staff to correct problems or to be able to communicate effectively with the ERP software support service.
- Develops, oversees and deploys access control systems at City Hall and other facilities.
- Performs recovery assistance on an on-call basis for operating system software or telecommunications failures of any type.
- Produce live television broadcasts of public meetings, television advertisement of City/CRA events and maintain and create content for the City’s 24/1 cable/internet TV channel.
- Maintains and monitors the City’s Wireless infrastructure Including the City’s public WI-FI hotspot and cellular hotspots use by field staff.
- Coordinates and organizes the City Archive of On-Demand Commission meeting videos.
- Manages our Citrix remote desktop system that allows off site and remote users access to the system.
- Maintains and monitors our virtual servers to allow the City to continue to expand without additional hardware or Infrastructure improvements that would be required for physical servers.
- Develops and maintains video surveillance and recording system throughout the City including remote access to all cameras at various city facilities including parking garage, various buildings, and the City’s municipal beach area.
- Provides expertise and leadership in developing the City’s website, including design, analysis, security, maintenance, updating and content development.
- Maintains currency of information and links that are part of the website.
- Designs and maintains online web accessible databases.
- Suggests production methods and required equipment to accomplish City goals and objectives for an internet presence; investigates and reports on projected costs accordingly.
- Provides leadership and expertise in delivering materials via the web; provides substantive support and coordination of collaborative projects.
- Oversees the City’s network security and controls.
- Conduct regular system audits.
- Installs, maintains, moves, and assists in testing and upgrading new and existing hardware/software.
- Oversee and determines timeframe for major IT projects including system updates, migrations, and outages.
- Participates and assists in the analysis and evaluation of the computer hardware and software needs of departments and offices, and in the design, set up, and implementation of applications.
- Oversees and performs the installation and maintenance of new software and modifications to existing software and reviews the results of software tests prior to implementation.
- Creates standards for development, maintenance and use of software and hardware; identifies requirements for customized software and evaluates acquisition or development of custom programs.
- Oversees and performs storage management functions including space allocation, dataset placement, monitoring for size and placement, capacity and management reporting.
- Designs and produces system software procedures, routines and programs which improve security, functionality or productivity of personnel; resolves deficiencies with existing system software.
- Assists with the formulation of project plans and schedules, including requirements, tasks, work assignments, resources and milestone review points for moderate projects.
- Performs related duties as directed when such duties are a logical and appropriate assignment to the position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of department practices and policies.
- Skill in the use small office equipment, including copy machines or multi-line telephone systems.
- Skill in using computers for data entry.
- Skill in using computers for word processing and accounting purposes.
- Skill in using highly technical computer applications, such as GIS or CAD.
- Ability to organize and communicate effectively.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Management Information Systems or related technology discipline field; five (5) years of recent progressively responsible experience with knowledgeable and technical experience in the installation, configuration and maintenance of personal computers, LAN/WAN network systems and VMWare; comprehensive understanding of network architecture and client/server technology; or an equivalent combination of training, education, and experience. Knowledge in government setting is preferred.
This work is medium and requires exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and up to 10 pounds of coerce constantly to move objects; work may also require balancing, climbing, crawling, crouching, feeling, fingering, grasping, handling, hearing, kneeling, lifting, mental acuity, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive motion, speaking, standing, stooping, talking, visual acuity, and walking.